Dude, Cancer sucks. I will prove it to you.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

4-17-11 Que Sera Sera

I love the Universe and all of her little jokes.  For those of you who are in the know, you know, prior to Cole being blessed with this wonderful little sum bitch Cancer, I had applied to Golden Gate Law School.  Well after Cole’s diagnosis, I had all but decided that there was no way that I could possibly start law school.  This was for two major reasons.

First was that we did not know what kind of timeline we were going to be working with respect to Cole’s recovery/hospital stays/etc so I did not want to lock up a large number of hours with Law school only to have to drop out because I had to attend to Cole too often.

Second was that it did not seem wise to take on cxx dollars in additional debt while at the same time asking people to donate money to Cole’s fund. 

I had accepted that I was not going to go to law school, and was completely happy with the decision.  I was really enjoying being home with Elisa and the kids every night, not working on weekends, and just enjoying life (or at least as much as that is possible when you kid has an advanced Cancer).

Well the Universe decided to throw another curve ball at me.  In yesterday’s mail, I received my acceptance letter from Golden Gate Law.  I was not surprised that they accepted me.  What did surprise me was that they are offering me a full ride dean’s merit scholarship.  Under any other circumstances I would have been bouncing off the walls and today would be nursing a hangover, but given Cole’s situation, it just makes for a crazy hard decision.  Thanks Universe.  You definitely keep me on my toes.

Speaking of Cole, he is all set to bust out of the hospital this evening.  We are just waiting for the last medication drip to get finished (should be around 6:30 this evening), and then we should be able to get out of here.

Cole has tolerated this round of Chemo fairly well.  His nausea has been manageable (not one vomit…knock on wood), and he has been active and alert the whole time he has been in.  He has not really had too much of an appetite, but he eats when pressed, and he has been drinking well.  The Doctors are very happy with his progress, and so am I. 

It amazes me how well he takes all of this.  He has completely accepted the fact that his life now includes all of this medical stuff.  He truly is an amazing kid.

That is all for now, and we will speak more in the future, but for now please raise your glasses and toast Cole, project manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment