Dude, Cancer sucks. I will prove it to you.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

6-30-11

Dear Cole,

The last few nights I have had the opportunity to watch some great movies.  Specifically I have watched Shawshank, One Flew Over the Cookoo’s Nest, and Few Good Men, and I have started thinking about great movies. 

Great movies have a couple of characteristics that identify them as great movies.  Now movies are art, and art is necessarily subjective so when determining what makes a movie great, personal opinions have to be disregarded.  Or rather we mush regard the opinions of the masses who may like some crappy movie just because it has a lot of explosions and boobs the same as some obscure movie that the film elite decides is an important movie. 

In determining whether a movie is great there are really only three characteristics that you must look for.  Number 1: if you happen to run across a movie that you have not seen for a while and it is on commercial television, you find that you have to watch it, irregardlessly of the time that it comes on (and in fact the later it is the higher greatness scale it has).  Number B: there is some great character that is usually not the main character (think Big Jack in A Few Good Men).  And 3: there is a line in the movie that given the appropriate set up, you can’t resist saying it.

****
As you can tell this isn’t my normal blog post because since Tuesday Cole has been at UCSF, and I have not seen him.  I am trying to hold it together, but not seeing him, and not being there to help is killing me.  Fortunately I will be there tomorrow night.  I miss my son.

After I get there tomorrow, I will try and put together a good update.  For now; however, please raise your glasses and toast Cole, winner of nine academy awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment